I love you S

I love you S

Friday, April 29, 2011

Botswana

So, Sindebele is originally from Botswana.  For those of you who don't know where Botswana is, it's a country in Africa and it's located just north of South Africa.  It's an amazing country and I had the good fortune of living there with my parents for a year after I graduated from college.  For those of you who are old enough to remember the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy," that movie was set in Botswana.  Much of the country is taken up by the Kalahari desert but it has incredible wildlife and the government has worked very hard to protect it's natural resources.  If you'd like to learn more about Botswana, check it out on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botswana

Sindebele was born on a ranch on the outskirts of the capital city of Gaborone, right next to the desert.  Sometimes we refer to her as little desert dog as she loves hot weather and sun.  She was a pretty darn cute little puppy:



I bought Sindebele for 500 Pula.  Pula is the currency in Botswana.  The word translated is "rain."  It's about roughly 5 Pula to the Dollar so she cost me about $100.

Sindebele's name is local to the region.  Zimbabwe neighbors Botswana to the east and it's comprised of two major tribes, the Matabele and the Shona.  The Matabele people speak a language called Sindebele.  It's a nice, bouncy word and she's a bouncy dog so I thought the name was a good fit.  Her name is prounced Sin-duh-bell-ee.  Most people pronounce her name correctly, they just can't spell it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment